Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Car Update

Success! Sort of. The job at hand was the head gasket, and I was interrupted in doing it on Saturday by the rain. It is a complicated job, it is the gasket that goes between the head ("Contains Valves! And Sparkplugs!") and the block ("Contains Pistons! And a Crankshaft!"). To separate them, you need to basically remove everything from everything. There is a trick to slightly save time, you put a jack under the tailpipe and it pops apart, you slip the gasket out and the new one in. It worked. I buttoned it back up, and I await the morning after the various sealants have dried to see if it runs. I also ran out of daylight.

Things I learned today:
  • How to use a torque wrench. 65 foot/pounds is a lot.

  • I forgot.

    Of course I found out in the process that there is a hole in the bottom of the trunk, so I've got that to fix. But I'm not complaining, I enjoy (mostly) mechanicing.

    [HA! The Soup Nazi was on Scrubs.]
    [Also, for those I haven't assaulted with this before, please watch "Arrested Development." It's good funny.]

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home