Monday, June 05, 2006


Greetings to all from safely back in the CDT! I had a wonderful time on the vacation, though it was absolutely exhausting. But for the first time in a while, I am happy to have exhausted myself and didn't go nuts doing it. Pills!

I arrived via the fine Southwest Airlines in Baltimore Tuesday around 10:30, rented up the Dodge Magnum, and drove into the city to lunch with CO and company at the place where they work. 1.5 pounds of eggrolls! Then I spend an exhausting afternoon wandering the mall taking pictures of things. Look to the flickr page for that, later. Picked up CO and drove into the 'burbs for a little dinner action. Tacos al Carbon! I believe we were done in about 30 mins, and I was sleeping on a fine Aero Bed 30 minutes after that. Heatstroke!

Next day after a coffee and bull session with CSO, I headed up to NYC. The drive was uneventful, except for seeing a van en fuego. Look again to flickr. Once in NYC and nearly $20 lighter (thank you, various bridges and turnpikes!), I drove around the Bronx in search of my hotel. An hour later, I found it. It wasn't in the greatest of neighborhoods, but that's the Bronx. It was 1/4 of what my mother paid to stay in midtown Manhattan. I called my sister, and we jumped on the subway, Manhattan bound.

The New York Subway is disgusting. It runs fine, it's necessary, and it's a bargain. By disgusting, I mean horribly filthy. Stinking, horribly filthy.

Met up with mom and grandpa, and set out for Little Italy in search of food. I had the carbonara. Wonderful!

Next day, I arose early and hopped the Bx9 bus, bound for Lehman College, where my sister would be graduating. It was a very hot day, but it's not often you get to see your sister graduate college, have Mayor Bloomberg as the commencement speaker, and hear jazz flute. After that, we went inside where her program was having a reception. That was very nice of them, but there far too many people in a far too small room. I stayed in the hallway and sweatted.

Then we rode back on the train for Manhattan. Mom and I rode all the way down to visit the WTC site, and turned right back around because it was too hot out. Mom went for a nap, and I cooled my heels in a Starbucks and then wandered to Times Square for some serious people watching. After a while, I re-met up with the family for a delicious meal at the restaurant where my sister works. A fine time was had by all. I enjoyed some prosciutto wrapped asparagus, a hanger steak and some delicious desserts. Excellent. I then bowed out of the family trek in the rain to Times Square, and went back to the hotel. I arrived there, once again exhausted. And not a little bit because of the two at a time jaunt up a broken escalator to catch a train at the 59th and Lex subway stop. Dehydrated!

That's the first half of the trip, more next time.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home